- Unhealthy air containing wildfire smoke and particulates can cause health problems in people and animals.
- Particulates from smoke tend to be very small, which allows them to reach the deepest airways within the lungs.
- Wildfire smoke can cause respiratory issues for horses. They may experience reduced lung function and difficulty breathing.
- Knowing what is normal versus concerning can help to know whether a veterinarian should evaluate your horse.
- Limit exercise when smoke is visible and give your horse ample time to recover from smoke-induced airway insult.
*Quick reference guide for horse owners to determine potential smoke inhalation damage
*Quick reference guide for veterinarians on treatment of smoke inhalation in horses
Posted by Amy Young